Sunday, September 11, 2016

On the blogs

Drivers of inequality: Trade shocks versus top marginal tax rates -- Douglas Campbell and Lester Lusher suggest than in the US inequality was caused by the tax policies that began with Reagan, and not globalization. Seems reasonable (a post from almost precisely 4 years ago)

Economists Who’ve Advised Presidents Are No Fans of Donald Trump -- Greg Mankiw's blog linked to this piece. I doubt that Feldstein is right. Yeah, Reagan "showed a real understanding of economics and international affairs." Funny thing is that the Donald's views on trade, because of his economic populism, might be more reasonable than the economics profession's dogma on free trade (my reply to Mankiw on free trade here). And nope I'd never vote for the Donald either, if you ask me

Meritocracy vs. Freedom -- Chris Dillow on Theresa May, but also on some deeper and more relevant, on whether free markets are compatible with meritocracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atonella Stirarti's Godley-Tobin Lecture

There was a problem during the 7th Godley-Tobin Lecture. I disconnected everyone when I was trying to fix a problem with Professor Stirati&#...